The Earth is What We All Have in Common
(Wendell Berry, novelist, poet and environmental activist)
Sustainability is generally defined as providing for our current needs without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs. But how do we "live" sustainably? Living sustainably simply means making positive lifestyle choices to reduce our individual impact on the environment. It includes choosing natural renewable resources and making changes to reduce our consumption and lessen our waste. Simple, every day choices by all of us can have a big impact on the planet, our health and the well-being of our communities.
Here are just a few ways to live sustainably:
- Reduce water consumption (turn off water when brushing your teeth)
- Reduce energy consumption (unplug devices when not in use)
- Use a reusable water bottle, straw and utensils
- Opt for paperless documents
- Use reusable tote bags for shopping (we can help with this one!)
- Use shampoo and conditioner bars instead of bottled
- Plant-based meals (just 1x a week can reduce carbon emissions)
- Avoid disposable / single-use items
There are many more ways to live a sustainable lifestyle but even with these small changes we can all make a positive impact for the benefit of the planet.
What changes can you make to live sustainably?
Like your Mom always said ... Make Good Choices :)